Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Valentine's Day Weekend 2011

Last Thursday afternoon, I got off work early, and we headed to Pigeon Forge for the weekend. We planned the trip in January, and we were so looking forward to getting away for a few days, especially since it was Valentine's Day weekend. <3

It snowed a few inches on Wednesday night, and while most of the snow had melted at home, PF still had quite a bit. As we were driving to find the road to our cabin, I looked over to my right and said, "oh my, that road is still covered with snow!" Well, it just so happened that that road was the road to our cabin! We were a little scared at first, but we made it through the backwoods to our little hideaway on top of the mountain. The cabin was called "Serenity," and it was just that...




I loved the kitchen, especially the dishwasher, since we do not have one at home!


The living room


I loved the view of the snow covered mountains



I did not take very many pictures because to be honest, sometimes I get so caught up in taking pictures that I forget about the real reason we came on this trip...to relax & have fun!

Thursday night, after we checked in to the cabin, we headed back out to PF to eat at Huck Finn's. It is one of our favorite restaurants in PF. We stopped at a bookstore, rented The Bounty Hunter, and went to Kroger to pick up some groceries for breakfast for the next two mornings. We were so surprised that there weren't a lot of people in town. It was so nice not to be driving in bumper to bumper traffic!

Friday, we woke up & I fixed pancakes & bacon, and John T. made eggs (I cannot cook eggs for the life of me). We then headed to do some shopping. We stopped at a little roadside shop called Moonshine Ridge and bought some homemade salsa, pickles & watermelon taffy (random, I know). We then made our way to the the outlet mall. We hit up Timberland (where we met Bruce Pearl's father-in-law), Adidas, Champion, Old Navy, and a few other stores. One of my V-day gifts from JT was an ON gift card, so I took advantage of that...got lots of new spring clothes & shoes! After shopping at the outlet mall, we went to a new little shopping center in the middle of PF & decided to come back and go to the movies there after supper. We then headed down the parkway & ate at Mama's Farmhouse. Oh my...it was amazing! It is a restaurant that serves you family style. There are no menus, they just bring you 3 meats, lots of sides & biscuits + cornbread! My kind of restaurant!



After eating at Mama's, we went to see Just Go With It. It was hilarious...probably the funniest movie I have seen in a while! We then made another quick trip to Kroger for some chips (to go with the salsa we bought that morning) & rented another movie, Takers. We headed back to the cabin to settle in for the night.

Saturday morning, we woke up & I made cinnamon rolls & bacon. It was so good! We stayed in for a little while to watch Takers because we fell asleep watching it Friday night! We headed out a little later to go to the Gap at the outlet mall because I had a BOGO free coupon! Sweet! :o) I got two sweaters & John T. bought a few things from Adidas. The mall was packed on Saturday, so we didn't stay very long. I was so glad we got most of our shopping done on Friday.

We then ate "lupper" at Longhorn Streakhouse. We had a gift card that JT's granny gave us for V-day, so we used it. I got a steak & baked potato, and it was so good! We did lots of good eating the whole weekend! Afterwards, we went to our favorite candy store, Smoky Mountain Candy Makers to get some fudge (my absolute favorite fudge place), rocky road bark & more watermelon taffy for John T.

After getting our sweet fix, we rented yet another movie, Buried & then we drove into Townsend & drove the scenic loop around Cades Cove. This was John T.'s first time in CC, but I had been there many, many times growing up. We saw lots of deer & a few coyotes. The moutains were beautiful! I love the old cabins & churches that pop up all over Cades Cove.



We came back home on Sunday morning. It was a fabulous, long, weekend...one that I know I will never forget! I worked late on Monday, and we just did not want to fight the crowds in Knoxville, so we came to my mom & dad's and had supper with them. My mom made roast, mashed potatoes, corn & cornbread. It was all delicious! We had a great night with them. :o)

The rest of our week has been pretty quiet. We are watching the VOLS vs. GAMECOCKS game tonight at my mom & dad's. Go BiG oRaNgE!!

I hope everyone has a great rest of the week!

1 comment:

The Smith's said...

Sounds like you all had a fabulous time! Reading about it really makes me want a weekend away to Pigeon Forge with Will! And next time we are up there we will definitely have to try that Mama's Farmhouse...sounds great!